Cooking fires are the primary cause of home fires and home fire injuries. The majority of cooking equipment fires start with the ignition of common household items (i.e., wall coverings, paper or plastic bags, curtains, etc.)
- Never leave food cooking on the stovetop unattended, and keep a close eye on food cooking inside the oven.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles (i.e. potholders, towels, rags, drapes and food packaging).
- Wear short, close fitted or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
- Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
- If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Food cooked in a microwave can be dangerously hot. Remove the lids or other coverings from microwaved food carefully to prevent steam burns.
- Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don’t remove the lid until it is completely cool. Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, thus spreading the fire.
If a Fire Occurs:
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Call Safety and Security immediately @ ex. 5555 or 845-471-1822
In the event you encounter an unwanted or uncontrolled fire you are directed to follow the following steps and they are:
Rescue and relocate anyone in immediate danger
Activate the fire Alarm system and call Safety and security @ ex. 5555 or 845-471-1822
Confine/contain the fire if possible by closing the door