If you discover or suspect a dangerous condition (such as a fire), or if a fire alarm is sounds:
- Evacuate the building using the nearest unaffected exit.
- Close the door to the affected area, if able to do so safely.
- DO NOT attempt to correct the condition or fight a fire unless you have been trained to do so.
- If the building’s fire alarm is not sounding, activate it by use of the nearest fire alarm pull station…if you are able to do so safely. If you are not able to do that, attempt to verbally sound the alarm and knock on doors as you evacuate the building
- DO NOT use elevators
- Assist the physically impaired. If they are unable to exit without using an elevator, find a safe location near a stairwell and immediately inform Safety & Security or the responding Fire Department personnel of the individual’s location.
- Move far away from the building to place yourself out of danger and to allow emergency responders to arrive and conduct operations, if necessary
- Dial 911 immediately and then notify the Office of Safety & Security by dialing x5555 from any campus phone, or if using a cell phone call (845) 471-1822, and inform authorities of the situation and your location
- DO NOT re-enter the building for any reason until given clearance to do so from the Office of Safety & Security or another emergency responder on the scene